Can you believe it’s almost 2011?! This holiday season, and year in general, seem to like they flew by at lightening speed. I have a great feeling about 2011. I already have lots to look forward to, including 10 (yes, TEN!) weddings! There will be lots o’ love in 2011, that’s for sure!
Hosting a NYE gathering, or going to one? Why not ring in the new year with this appetizer?!
- 8 oz bocconcini mozzarella
- 3-4 medium (and firm) tomatoes
- 4 tbsp fresh basil
- 2 tbsp white truffle oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- loaf of french bread, sliced
- Cut your bocconcini into 8 equal pieces.
- Dice your tomato, making sure to discard as much juice and seeds as possible.
- Chop basil into small bits.
- Combine all ingredients in a covered bowl or container. Drizzle with about 2 tbsp white truffle oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Serve with french bread.
This appetizer is so simple but tastes so decadent! You can use larger balls of mozzarella, but I find the bocconcini to be the easiest to get the pieces cut uniformly. Do not substitute dried basil. Truffle oil may be replaced with EVOO, but this def tastes better with the truffle oil. I was able to find it at my local Whole Foods.
The soft mozzarella cheese has a fresh, delicate flavor. The aromatic basil and sweet tomatoes will transport you to a summer garden. Every bite delivers a classic Italian flavor combination. Served on top on soft, doughy bread, this is an appetizer that is sure to please the palette.
Have a great Thursday, everyone!