This recipe caught my eye when it popped up in my Reader. Immediately taking inventory in my head, I was psyched when I realized I had everything on hand to make this dish. Score! Prosciutto is a favorite of Lloyd’s. I had a few rogue slices to use from when I made Fig-Prosciutto Pizza With Arugula. I knew this would be the perfect dish to use the remainder.
Quick and easy, this dish looks much more involved than it actually is! Love that.
Chicken with Prosciutto & Sage
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- course salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 4 fresh whole sage leaves, plus 4 minced sage leaves
- 4 chicken cutlets
- 4 slices thinly sliced prosciutto
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon cold butter
- In a shallow bowl, stir together the flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Dredge the cutlets in the seasoned flour; tap off the excess. Lay 1 sage lead lengthwise on each cutlet, then wrap a prosciutto slice around the middle of each cutlet, encasing the sage.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 teaspoons of the oil over medium-high heat. Cook 2 of the cutlets until golden brown and cooked through, 3-4 minutes per side. Place the cooked cutlets on a plate and tent with foil to keep warm. Repeat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil and 2 cutlets.
- Add the wine and broth to the skillet; cook over high heat until reduced by three quarters, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; let cool for 1 minute. Add the butter and minced sage; stir until the butter is melted, about 30 seconds. Spoon the sauce onto plates; top with the cutlets. Serve immediately.
To quote Tessa, “There’s something just dreamy about the flavor combination of prosciutto and sage; it’s both salty and earthy.” Sage has a strong, aromatic scent that conjures the Christmas season for me. (Anyone else?) It gives off a
(delightfully!) pungent smell and has a warm although slightly bitter taste. The crispy prosciutto lends a nice texture to the chicken. Paired together, this is the ultimate in quick, savory meals.
Best served along side your favorite veggie, and a big scoop of Three-Cheese Risotto, natch.
Thanks for all the feedback regarding the new site! Although I will be posting on both sites for now, the old site will eventually be phased out. You will have to re-subscribe.
- To subscribe in a reader, you can click the big orange button with the white lines, on the top left, under the “Subscribe” heading.
- To subscribe via email updates, you can enter your name and email address under the “Subscribe by email” heading.
- If you just type the URL in your browser, you will now have to type www.blognewblack.com to find me.
If you have any trouble re-subscribing (or in general!) please contact me. You can use the green button with the envelope on the left under the “Subscribe” heading, or leave a comment here. I’m happy to hear any feedback you have, good or bad!
I am aware that there have been a lot of issues with the email subscription. It should be fixed now. Try it again today.
Thanks for your patience!